Wednesday, October 7, 2009

It takes a village...

I remember hearing this from Hillary Clinton, I don't know how long ago & not really getting it.

But I understand now. Although I think it should be different.... it takes a village to not only raise a child, but also to create the kind of person that we are. And I think it changes every day. I know that for me with each new person & new experience, I change a little bit.

I have taken a part of a childhood friend, who amazed me our senior year when she went out to breakfast by herself. It might not seem like a strange thing, but I just thought it was the bravest thing. And I have learned that a little alone time is not only okay, but it's healthy. Thank You Jennie.

I have taken a part of my neighbor who is so good to the environment & animals. And a few years back started using those recycling bins to try to do our part, instead of just using them to make snow forts. Thank You Sue.

I have taken a part of my mother-in-law who can always seem to find the good in people, and a rational way of thinking of things, when I tend to be hot-headed & over analyzing. Thank You Diane.

I have taken a part of my sister-in-law who speaks her mind, and trusts in herself. When I have always been too afraid that my opinion was insignificant. Thank You Shelley.

I have taken a part of my other sister-in-law who is the kindest person that I have ever known. Her thoughtfulness and compassion have made me strive to be a better person. Thank You Jerilynne.

I have taken a part of my husband, who has told me a hundred times, that everyone puts their pants on one leg at a time, just like me, and that no one is better than anyone else. Thank You Sammy.

I have taken a part of my oldest friend, who is such an amazing mother. Not only is she not afraid to let everyone know how much she loves her children and how proud she is, her enthusiasm spills over to everyone around her, and it has made me a better mother. Thank You Kristi.

I have taken a part of one of my best friends from high school, who can laugh at herself, even when things happen that can be really frustrating. Not only can I laugh at myself, but I know that there is someone out there who often feels exactly how I do. Thank You Julie.

I have taken a part of my Aunt, who in the face of a battle for her life, was making jokes, to ease everyone's concern. And I've begun to look for the silver lining & the laughter . Thank You Aunt Susan.


I have taken a part of my Mother, who has continued to love unconditionally in the best and worst of circumstances, who still lets me vent at her (which is different then venting to her, venting at her isn't always nice). And I've tried to love without conditions. Thank You Mom.

I have taken a part of my beautiful daughter, who came home to tell me that a fellow student was being mocked at school for wearing braids in her hair, then the next day asked me to braid her hair the same way & proudly wore it to school that way. She sticks up for the underdog. Thank You Samantha.

I have taken a part of my other beautiful daughter, her sensitivity amazes me. As a 5 year old she told me how she wanted to go back in time, to the days of Martin Luther King Jr. so she could tell everyone that they just need to be nice to each other. If they could just do that, there wouldn't be so many things wrong with the world. And so I've tried to just be nice. Thank You Libby.

I have watched old friends lose husbands & children. And fight their way back from a depth of despair I never knew existed. Then turn around and do amazing things. I am humbled to have taken a part of that. It has made me love deeper & appreciate each and every day. I thank them.

There are a million other people that make up who I am..... and I thank them .

I love my village....

No comments: